The Springdale Care Corridor, a four-mile stretch of I-49 on the city's west side, has been chosen as the site for a new $85 million world-class UAMS orthopedic hospital and sports medicine center.
The University of Arkansas System trustees have approved a $13.6 million land purchase agreement for 31.2 acres on the southeast corner of Gene George Boulevard and Watkins Avenue. The new 185,000-square foot facility will be across the street from Arkansas Children's Northwest and Arvest Ballpark.
The new medical center will also be the orthopedic health care home for all Arkansas Razorback athletes when complete. UA Trustee Steve Cox, a former all-America Razorback football player, has said the planned orthopedic facility will be "a great recruiting tool for athletes we're recruiting" while UAMS Chancellor Cam Patterson referred to the Springdale area becoming a "medical corridor" for the region.
"This is a major announcement and tremendous news for Springdale and for Northwest Arkansas health care," said Chamber president Bill Rogers. "With its abundance of destination health care providers, the reputation of the Springdale Care Corridor continues to grow. Combined with state-of-the-art health care delivery at Northwest Medical Center-Springdale, when you think of first-class health care, you think of Springdale."
The facility is expected to include up to 12 operating rooms and a limited number of patient beds. The specialty clinics will include sports performance, physical therapy, orthopedic, imaging, research and education.
Providers and resources included in the Springdale Care Corridor include:
- Willow Creek Women's Hospital (Northwest Health)
- Creekside Center for Women
- Highlands Oncology
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield (near completion)
- Children's Safety Center of Washington County (planned)
- UAMS Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Center (planned)
- Arkansas Children's Northwest (ACHNW)
- Center for Children's Health & Wellness (ACHNW & UAMS)
- Ozark Guidance
- Hope Cancer Resources
- Springdale Center for Health (Washington Regional)
- Mercy ER and Clinic - Springdale (Mercy Northwest)
- Northwest Medical Plaza & Urgent Care (Northwest Health)